Monday, March 19, 2012

Searching for simplicity

Something I've done a lot of in the past and definitely not a lot of in the present is seeking out simplicity. In the past I have "accomplished" this by selling various complications in my life such as a tv, playstation, or piles of books I would never read again. I doing so I suppose accomplished a bit of simplicity in the form of decluttering. At the same time this never actually fulfilled my desire or got me where I wanted to be. Soon the time I hoped i would save by getting rid of all this stuff was replaced by other tasks. Simplicity became an unobtainible idol.

The only freedom from this vicious cycle of trying to obtain a life free of complication is found in the gospel. One might ask what this has to do with it, or how this could apply? The answer lies in the fact that in Christ's death and resurrection has freed me from my deepest sins. My identity no longer needs to be wrapped up in trying to find some satisfaction or peace outside of this. I am a free man in Christ. My reality now is found in wrestling in the implications of this, and also in living a life of tension between what it means to live In the here and now while seeking and looking forward to God's kingdom. This is the true freedom, nothing that I can accomplish or do on my own. This would be devastating news, but as a man saved by the grace of God is the best news I could hope to hear. I can rest in the finished work of Christ and find true peace. This is my simplicity.

This all was brought to mind in a book that I was reading today. The author was quoting the works of philosopher Soren Kierkegaard. Kierkegaard was considering how and in what ways he should pursue the kingdom of God...

So in summary...

"Should a person get a suitable job in order to exert a virtous influence? His answer: no, we must first seek God's kingdom. Well, then perhaps we are to go out and preach this truth to the world that people are to seek first God's kingdom? Once again the answer is a resounding: no, we are first to seek the kingdom of God. Kierkegaard concludes, "Then in a certain sense it is nothing I shall do. Yes, certainly, in a certain sense it is nothing, become nothing before God, learn to keep silent; in this silence is the beginning, which is, first to seek God's Kingdom."

No comments:

Post a Comment